I know it’s been a bit since my last post. Quarantine life has been complicated and getting into ANY KIND of routine is hard. I have been sewing masks off and on but I did take some time out to sew for my sweet girl.
We celebrate May 4th in this house like we celebrate a birthday— fun foods, new clothes. With the quarantining we had to go super simple and Sweet Pea was bummed she didn’t get to go to school wearing her new dress.
I participated in the George and Ginger Sew Along for May 4th, which had lots of people sewing a variety of patterns with varying levels of love for the Star Wars franchise.
We love the angled hemline so when Sweet Pea asked that we use this pattern with some modifications, I said sure!
The Emilia has lots of features and was formerly the Gingersnap Dress by George and Ginger.
Sizing now 0-3m through 14. Sleeve lengths include sleeveless, short sleeves, 3/4 and long sleeves.
From the website:
“The Emilia Dress is a mini dress (hitting well above the knee at center front and back) that looks great with leggings, or on its own as a dress for those who are comfortable with the length.
The loose and flowy fit is very stylish and lends itself to a “grow” style—being worn for years, first as a mini dress and then as a tunic. There is a grow cuff option for the long sleeves, allowing them to be folded up at first and then unfolded as the child grows. Other sleeve length options include short, elbow length, and sleeveless.”
I used double brushed polyester (DBP) from Boho Fabrics. They do have a delay on shipping do to the current quarantine but they shipped within the time frame stated on their website. This DBP has a thick in hand feel and lovely drape.
I used a new htv vinyl my husband purchased from Walmart because I couldn’t find what I needed for curbside pick up from Joann Fabrics and I noticed after a few days of wear I need to reapply the heat press. It is very thick vinyl and with applying to DBP I used a lower temp and it’s possible I did not use enough timing for the heat application.
I added length just under the armscye to take the dress to floor length and added a snap on cape.
We finished up the look with a felt mask from a shop on etsy and went outside for a photo shoot!