Week 23: Sew Something with a Collar

This week is sew something with a collar, today I come to you with a tutorial on how to add a Peter Pan style collar to a knit shirt—so challenge accepted! For this shirt, I used the Sweet Pickles Tee from Pickle Toes Patterns. ******This pattern will be retiring at the end of the month and is currently $2.00.

I went with fabric from Central Tx Fabrics that I had beautiful scraps of for the collar and a lovely cushy red cotton lycra.

img_0166.jpg

For this tutorial you will need a few supplies: marker, tracing paper, color pencil. So lets get started….

I began with tracing the collar line of the shirt front. I already decided based on how petite Sweet Pea was I wanted the collar to be no bigger than 2 inches. I measured the 2 inches and marked the placement around the neckline so that I could work on the shape of my collar.

Next, I decided I wanted the collar to attach at the shoulder so I sloped the collar a bit so that it would get smaller as you get to the shoulder. (I believe my next one may include a full collar). I also wanted a it of an angle for the collar shape, but you can play with the shape of the collar drawing it in with a color pencil until its the shape you want.

At this time, we need to add the seam allowance. I drew lines out from the edge of the top part of the collar piece. I decided I wanted 1/4 inch seam allowance so I measured around the pattern piece so that the seam allowance would be even. Cut your brand new pattern piece out and figure out what fabric you want for the collar piece. You will cut 2 pairs mirror image (4 pieces total). From here you will sew your collar pieces right side together and clip along the curve in the seam allowance.

Turn right side out and iron. I opted to topstitch because my material was a bit floppy (you could also interface your collar pieces however I wanted it to be soft and cuddly for this top because its what the little one wanted).

Next I basted the collar on and sewed one side of the shoulder together then opted for a binding finish and sewing the other shoulder after attaching my binding.

You could attach both shoulders and proceed with the pattern instruction from attaching the shoulders.

I feel like this turned out pretty cute, the problem is Sweet Pea wouldn’t let me get pretty modeled photos.

 

***this post may contain affiliate links

Advertisements

Week 8: Upcycle something

This week’s challenge was upcycle something. And the perfect week to finally alter this shirt my mom got Sweet Pea in Ireland. When I asked her what she wanted a shirt or dress she opted for Bella Sunshine Designs Maggie top and dress in the tunic length. Sweet Pea then picked a fun floral with varying shades of green and blue and insisted on it being included in her new top.

20180221_074957127931790.jpg

I got to work cutting carefully along each of the seams to cut apart the neckband and sleeves then finally the side seams.

I cut the sleeves out on the sleeves of the tshirt, using the hem so I wouldn’t have to hem them. Then opted for a pop of color blocking just above the hemline creating a fun cuff look.

20180221_0656101458889694.jpg

Next, I cut the bodice piece under the armscye and added a 1/4 inch seam allowance to the new top and bottom pieces and cut my fabric. I sewed the top and bottom pieces together then continued with construction as directed from there. I reused the same neckband from the original shirt because it was a fabulous tubular knit.

20180221_07183291304577.jpg

I love how it turned out and I am pretty sure that Sweet Pea likes it too since she just had to wear it to see the Trolls movie.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑